Monday, June 05, 2006

"with an earth like this, who needs hell...?"

these days they attack me
even in my home
why then do they say:
‘there is no place like home?’
i am robbed in my playground
raped in my school,
bombed in cinemas
bus stations
flea markets
and shopping malls
i am the target
no matter who i am
is there a safe place for me to play?
please show me the way

i need refuge
yet no place on earth is safe
your government says I can stay for awhile
yet I am harassed
manhandled
embarrassed
in your airports

i may work for your people
yet I can be whipped
if my boss does not have my papers
from a human being
with dignity
i am reduced to an animal
they call 'the undocumented’

how can you call this place earth
for me it’s a big battle field
sometimes there are no guns
but too often i am killed
not by bullets
but ignorance
by hatred
discrimination
racism
inhumanity
pride

sometimes it depends on which side you’re on
take sides they say
as the ones without sides are the ones hurt the most

so I took sides
and it seems there is no difference
except for the battle of egos

with an earth like this
who needs hell?
no one speaks anymore
all want to play safe
but to play safe for you
is to put me in danger
yet why shoud you care?
thinking of others is not compulsory
these days, such attitudes
are as scarce as the land we all seek
as elusive as the word ‘peace’

Susan Loone
03may06, Bangkok

3 comments:

Pak Zawi said...

I often wonder why nobody commented on such a beautiful piece written by you.

I can feel your frustration living in a world which is no better than hell. In a way evryone of us suffer, only difference is the degree of it.

You have travelled the world. Definitely you could compare and decide on the best place to live. For some the hot barren desert or the cold arctic is heavenly peaceful. To me the jungle is heaven. The more virgin the jungle the better it is.

Wherever we are, we need to chip in to do our part to make this world a better place for everyone of us to live. That is our basic duty to mankind.

Keep on writng. I will be a regular visitor to your site.

susanloone said...

thank you so much, zawi.
i have never promoted this site much. i will when i have updated it more often.
this site is really for the more poetic side of me :-)
many more poems are lying in my drawer...in my notebooks, waiting to be given life...
thanks again for the encouragement.

no matter where we travel, or visit, yes, and no matter how good other places are, there is still the longing and the wish that your homeland will be just as good,if not better ...

Plain Angel said...

Hey I've read ur blog... It's really cool how u can express yourself like that! I too write poems but lol! not as good as you... I mostly used poems to express myself so I get ur point about freedom... If only this world has more ppl like you... It would definitely be a better place... take care, Good Luck and God Bless!